New Meal Monday: Shrimp & Grits
So, I've written quite a bit in some other posts about the fact that my wife doesn't meat, and that in spite of my protests, this has opened up a world of meatless meals that have unexpectedly improved my life. One area I haven't touched on is that, due to an allergy, she also doesn't eat shellfish. Since this isn't a choice she's making, I try not to complain about it. (I do complain about it...but I try not to).
I grew up in coastal town and spent many summer nights enjoying various dishes involving delicious fresh seafood. I love crab, lobster, shrimp, you name it, but these things rarely find their way into our home. Except when my wife goes out of town...
Of course I miss her terribly when she's gone, its also an opportunity to catch up on some of some things I can't make when she's around. A couple years ago I saw a recipe in a magazine for Shrimp & Grits and I have been waiting for an opportunity to give it a try! Seriously, delicious shrimp mixed in with creamy, cheddar-y, grits...it sounds like heaven. So this was inspired by a magazine that was a collection of one-skillet meals, that I took a couple creative liberties with including the addition some Teeny Tiny Spice Adobo to add a little extra pop (although...that doesn't make or break the meal so if you don't have it, don't worry too much!).
This dish serves 4-5 people, and while I enjoyed this for dinner, it could technically be served for any meal of the day!
What you'll need:
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 Yellow Onion diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- 1 tsp minced canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 3.5 Cups water
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 1 Cup old-fashioned grits
- 1.5 Cups shredded cheddar cheese (recommend Cabot Extra Sharp)
- 3 Large Eggs beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 diced green onions
- 1.5 lbs extra large shrimp, peeled/deveined
- (Optional: if you'd like a little extra heat)1/2 tsp Teeny Tiny Spice Co. Oaxacan Adobo
How you'll do it:
- Position rack in middle of oven and pre-heat to 450
- Melt butter on medium, in 12" oven-safe skillet. Add Onion and salt and cook till soft (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally
- Stir in garlic & chile, cook for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in water and cream and increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Slowly whisk in grits, reduce heat to low and cook for about 15 min (until grits are thick and creamy), whisking frequently.
- Remove from heat, whisk in cheddar, eggs, pepper, and adobo.
- Place shrimp on sides on top of grits, pressing shrimp down so about 1/2 of each shrimp is submerged in grits. Spread green onion over the top
- Place skillet in oven and bake for about 15 min, or until shrimp is cooked through. (Let cool for about 10-15 min before serving).