New Meal Monday: Cheesy Cauli-Sticks
In our house, as in many, the Super Bowl is about a lot more than football. Food and snacks can take center stage with classics like wings, nachos, and cauliflower. That's right, I said cauliflower! In an effort to try something new, and try and find a slightly healthier snack we decided to add "cauliflower bread sticks" to our assortment of super snacks! My wife actually came across this idea when trying to find creative ways to trick our toddler into eating more vegetables (it didn't work) but decided it didn't need to be just a kid's snack since they sounded so tasty!
We simply bought frozen cauliflower rice at the store to make this recipe as simple and quick as possible, but it would be pretty easy to make from fresh cauliflower if you had the time! Simply cut cauliflower florets from the stalk, blend in food processor till of rice size/texture, and then steam in a pot for 4-5 min. Then strain excess liquid out and follow the steps in the recipe below to make in to sticks!
What you'll need:
- 2-10oz Bags Frozen Cauliflower Rice*
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 C Mozzarella Cheese, grated
- 1/4 C Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
How you'll do it:
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Cook cauliflower rice to packaged instructions, then strain to remove excess moisture.
- In a bowl mix cauliflower with egg, oregano, basil, garlic salt, and half of the Mozzarella cheese.
- Spray a baking sheet with oil, and spread mixture on sheet in shape of a rectangle. Spread so its even and roughly 1/2" thick.
- Back for 30 min. Remove from oven, spread remaining cheeses on top and back till crisp, roughly another 10 min.
- Remove from oven and cut into 1" wide strips.
- Serve with your favorite marinara sauce for dipping and enjoy!
*as referenced previously, you can make your own rice using fresh cauliflower if you'd prefer!