Summertime means a lot of things when it comes to food.
Fresh veggies, grilled meats, things on skewers just to name a few! Summer's can get busy and our family's schedule can become pretty full, so another one of my summertime traditions is trying to cook myself all the things my wife doesn't care for, whenever she leaves me on my own for dinner! This typically looks like some sort of fish or seafood!
This past week, I decided I'd try some salmon kebabs, marinade in a sweet-maple mixture, cooked with red onion and zucchini. I cut the zucchini into thin ribbons (using a peeler) to get it to cook as quickly as the salmon. I also used a basting brush to continue to brush the marinade on the skewers for flavor.
What you'll need:
- 1lb Salmon, sliced into 2" wide pieces
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4C Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1-2 medium size zucchini, peeled into long ribbons (about 1" wide)
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges (about 1" wide)
How you'll do it:
- In a small mixing bowl combine pepper, salt, garlic, maple syrup and soy sauce. Set aside.
- Skewer the salmon, zucchini and onion, alternating. (Fold the salmon and zucchini as shown in the picture to prevent it from rotating on the grill).
- Place skewers in a shallow baking dish. Pour maple-mixture over skewers, spreading evenly, and let marinade for about an 45 min, rotating about halfway.
- Grill over high heat for about 5-10min. Use remaining marinade to brush skewers regularly during cooking. Rotate skewers regularly while cooking.