New Meal Monday: Twice Baked Potato
I've written previously that I love potatoes. Like really love them. Potatoes are to me, what shrimp is to Bubba from "Forrest Gump".
I love them in every form....I love them mashed, I love them as chips, and I like them instead of chips...
They're good grilled, and they're good cold!
I could go on, but I think I've made my point...
SO, when I learned that yesterday was National Potato Day, I was really excited, as it meant we HAD to make this week's recipe potato-focused. I tried to think of ways I've enjoyed potatoes. I remembered that my grandmother used to be a big fan of the twice-baked potato and I realized I hadn't had twice baked potato in years! If you haven't had it before, its like taking the best of a baked potato, mashed potatoes, and potato skins, and combining them! This recipe includes bacon and cheddar cheese, but you could play around with the ingredients if you'd like! Hopefully you enjoyed National Potato Day...and if you had no idea that was a holiday, now you'll be better prepared for next year!
What you'll need:
- 4 Russet Potatoes
- 1 stick butter, sliced into squares
- 1/2C of cooked, crumbled bacon
- 1/2C lite Sour Cream
- 1/2C cheddar cheese, (plus some extra for topping)
- 1/2C whole milk
- 2 green onion, chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp rosemary
- canola oil
How you'll do it:
- Preheat oven to 400*F
- Place potatoes on baking sheet, rub with oil, and bake for 1 hour till potatoes are cooked through.
- In a large bowl mix together butter, bacon and sour cream.
- When potatoes are done, reduce oven temp to 350*F. Slice potatoes lengthwise and scoop inside of potatoes into the bowl. Leave a thin layer of potato on the skin. Set skins aside.
- Mix/mash potatoes until well combined with butter, bacon and sour cream.
- Add cheese, milk, green onion, paprika, and rosemary and mix together well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop mixture back into potato skins. using all of the mixture. Top with grated cheddar.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for additional 20 min. Enjoy!