New Meal Monday: Taco Soup
Chicken Taco Soup
As the temperatures drop and fall begins to ease into winter, our household prepares for the cold in many ways. Of course, we put away the patio set, switch out the sandals for warm boots, and dig out the heavy coats from the basement. But we also dig out the soup, stew and chili recipes that help keep us warm and toasty. While the dreary, rainy weather this weekend put a damper on outside plans, we heated things up by making Chicken Taco Soup. This is a slow cooker recipe, which allows for the ease of preparing dinner early in the day, with the added benefit of a delicious aroma filling the kitchen all afternoon! I’ve put the recipe below, along with how we dress it up with toppings and garnishes – which in my opinion, truly bring it all together. Hope you enjoy this tasty soup!
Here is what you’ll need:
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans
- 1 (16 oz) can of chili beans
- 1 (15 oz) can of whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce
- 2 (10 oz) cans of diced tomato with green chilies
- 1 can of beer (whatever is in your fridge will do! We often use a lager)
- 3 whole chicken breasts
Seasoning: (you can use a packaged taco seasoning for ease, we make our own seasoning)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder (I use half to manage the heat, but I am a wimp when it comes to spice)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (again, I use half of this)
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Toppings: (optional, but recommended)
- Cheddar cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Corn bread
Here’s how you do it:
- Put onion, black beans, chili beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer and diced tomatoes in slow cooker. Mix and then add in seasoning, combine well.
- Place the chicken on top and push down on each piece so it is covered.
- Cook on low for 5 hours. Remove chicken and shred, then place back in slow cooker and cook for an additional 2 hours.
- Allow time to cool, then serve topped with cheddar cheese, sliced avocado, tortilla chips and sour cream. Serve some corn bread or muffins on the side if you choose (we highly recommend it!)
*Serving tip: Place the corn muffin in your bowl first and then pour soup over it, followed by the cheese, avocado, sour cream and chips.