New Meal Monday: Taco Bites
We don't spend a great deal of time writing about sports here. The primary reason is that it wouldn't make any sense as this is a blog for a kitchen store and we talk about food and recipes. The other reason is the teams I support, for the most part...well...they stink....
I'm a fan of the New York Jets, and for the 8th time since 2002 I'll have to watch as my team's primary nemesis plays in the Super Bowl. It's not easy being a Jets fan in New England. So, since my team hasn't even played in the Super Bowl since 15 years before I was born, I need to find other reasons to enjoy Super Bowl Sunday. Many fans are in the same boat, and I know a number of people who don't even really care for sports, but will still get excited for the game; between the commercials, the Halftime Show, and the parties there's plenty to look forward too! I know I for one always look forward to the delicious snacks that tend to come along with the Super Bowl! Wings, nachos, and various dips are just a few staples at our house, but this year we thought we'd test something new: Taco Bites!
These little bite sized treats are delicious, pretty easy, and most of it can be made in advance and tossed in the oven when you're ready to serve! We intentionally bought prepackaged guacamole, salsa and shredded cheese to make it a little quicker and easier, but feel free to do as much on your own as you'd like!
Regardless of whether your team plays this weekend, I hope these make the game more enjoyable for you! (this recipe makes 24 taco bites!)
What you'll need:
- 1 large chicken breast (halved)
- 4 large taco shells
- 1 Cup shredded Mexican Cheese
- Your favorite salsa
- 1/2 can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp Teeny Tiny Spice Yucatecan Rocado Rojo
- Don't have it? Try any taco seasoning of your liking, (or try 1/2 Tbsp Cumin, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp black pepper).
How you'll do it:
- Preheat oven to 400*
- Toss chicken breast in seasoning and place in greased baking dish. Bake for 20-30 min until chicken is cooked (165*)
- While chicken is baking use either a circle cookie cutter (or a knife and your best judgement!) to cut taco shells into small circles to fit mini muffin tin (should be just larger that opening so shell sticks out top when pushed into opening. Microwave the shell circles in for 10-15 seconds (this helps soften the shells and make them more pliable).
- When chicken is done cooking, turn oven up to 425* then place chicken in bowl and pull apart with 2 forks until shredded. Toss beans in bowl and mix together.
- Place a shell in each opening of the muffin tin, then scoop in chicken and beans to each shell. Spoon salsa on top of each, then top with cheese.
- Bake at 425* for 10-12 min, until cheese is melted and shells start to crisp.
- Remove from oven and top with a dollop of guacamole (or sour cream if you'd prefer!) and enjoy!