New Meal Monday: Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
The urge to bake hits me at odd times, and most recently it was 9pm and I decided that it was the perfect time to make some muffins. My mom had brought over fresh rhubarb from her garden, and still having some local strawberries in my fridge, I did some recipe searching with this delicious combo as the main feature. I found a recipe for strawberry rhubarb muffins, which I have never made but have been talking about for years. So I dug through our fridge and pantry to make sure we had what we needed and let the baking begin! This recipe is quick and easy to follow and I had muffins done in time to test one out for a bedtime snack. They are a great balance of sweet and tart, and using yogurt instead of butter makes them a healthy treat as well! I know the local season for strawberries and rhubarb may have passed, but this one is worth saving for the future.
Here's what you need:
- ½ cup of Greek yogurt (plain)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup diced rhubarb
- ½ cup diced strawberries
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
Here's how you do it:
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Make the topping: combine pecans, sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter in small bowl. Set aside
- Mix yogurt, oil and egg in medium bowl.
- Whisk flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.
- Add in the yogurt mixture and rhubarb & strawberries, stir until combined.
- Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full (use either a muffin liner or spray with cooking oil).
- Add a spoonful of topping to each muffin.
- Bake for about 25 minutes.