New Meal Monday: Spinach & Carmelized Onion "Quiche" with Sweet Potato Crust
I've always believed that part of the recipe for a successful marriage is equality, and honoring a division of labor around the household. This holds true for us in most categories, however, when it comes to cooking breakfast it’s a totally different story. I’m not even sure how it happened, but when a weekend morning rolls around, we are not asking “what are we having for breakfast?”, we are asking “what is Luke making for breakfast?”
A typical Sunday morning begins with me choosing from an array of delicious breakfast options as if I am at a restaurant, and then he whips up a restaurant quality meal (yes, I'm a little spoiled). So, I have been feeling a bit guilty and wanted to bring a balance to our breakfast routine and cook up my own tasty meal. I know I can’t compete with Luke’s popovers or scrambled eggs so I needed something unique. That’s when I came across a recipe for a spinach and caramelized onion dish (some of my favorite egg fillings) with a sweet potato crust. I was instantly sold on the crust, I have only eaten quiches with traditional crust and this was just the creativity I was looking for. The caramelized onion and sweet potato give it a delicious sweet flavor that can be paired well with a side of crispy bacon (or vegetarian sausage) and toast (or you could mix the cooked bacon/veggie sausage right into the filling!). We enjoyed this for breakfast, yet if served with some greens makes it a great brunch, or dinner option as well!
Here’s what you need:
Sweet Potato Crust:
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to season
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup shaved or grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Here’s what you do:
- Pre-heat oven to 425F.
- Peel sweet potato and then shred (easiest to use a food processor).
- Coat bottom of baking dish with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Then pour in sweet potatoes and lightly season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Cover tightly with foil and back for 30 minutes.
- While potatoes are baking, heat skillet and add butter and sliced onion. Cook slowly over low to medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 45-60 minutes. Onions will soften and caramelize, set aside.
- When potato crust is done, remove from oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes. Use a rubber spatula to flatten into a crust, making sure to push the crust up onto the sides of the dish.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and then add the parmesan, chopped spinach, and seasoning. Pour into the crust and top the mixture with the caramelized onions.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake at 425F for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil, lower oven temp to 350F and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes (or until the eggs in the middle are firm).
- Top with shaved parmesan and serve hot!
About 4 Servings