New Meal Monday: Roasted Broccoli
Maybe you over-indulged this holiday season, maybe you didn't. We're not here to judge. However, in our household, after the first of the year we're typically looking for some ways to get some healthier foods mixed into our diet.
At Kiss the Cook we typically follow what America's Test Kitchen has to say about kitchen products, so we can get a sense of their take on some of the best products in the industry, but this year we started carrying some of their cookbooks. This recipe for roasted broccoli is from their "The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook" which contains tons of great vegetarian friendly mains and sides,as well as countless great tips for helping with prep and making sure you're getting the most from your ingredients!
This recipe is easy, delicious, and will help you get some greens into your diet to start 2017 off right!
What you'll need:
- 1 3/4 lbs broccoli
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch pepper
How you'll do it:
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position, place rimmed baking sheet on rack and heat oven to 500.
- Cut broccoli crowns into wedges, and cut stalks into 1/2-in thick planks
- Toss broccoli with oil, sugar, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Quickly lay broccoli in single layer, flat sides down on hot baking sheet.
- Roast until browned approximately 9-11 min.
Additional options are to stir 1 tablespoon minced garlic into oil before tossing with raw broccoli and/or garnish with shaved Parmesan before serving!