New Meal Monday: Mom's Crab Cakes
This past week, my family and I congregated at the Jersey Shore for an annual family party. While MTV has given the Jersey Shore a bit of a reputation, much of the area where I grew up is actually full of small, (relatively) quiet towns surrounded by beautiful beaches, bays and rivers. One of my favorite things about going to visit there is all the fresh seafood! In particular, this area is great for crab! In honor of this recent trip we took, (and that summer is a great time for seafood!) we thought we'd share my Mom's Crab Cake recipe! She's been making these for a long time (as evidenced by the "recipe card" that's nearly 20 years old!) and they're simple and delicious (even when we make them in Vermont without those super fresh Jersey Shore crabs!)
What you'll need:
- 1 Lb. Whole, lump crabmeat
- 1/2 pack of Ritz crackers (crushed to dust)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 Tbsp Worchester sauce
- 2-3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp salt
How you'll do it:
- Mix all ingredients except crabmeat, then fold in crabmeat keeping lumps of meat.
- Form into approximately 3" size patties and place on greased baking sheet. Should make about 8 cakes.
- Broil until golden. About 4/5 minutes per side.