New Meal Monday: Beer Bratwurst
This past weekend at Kiss the Cook we had an Oktoberfest themed celebration.
There were decorations, samples of Oktoberfest inspired foods, people in lederhosen, and great deals on German cutlery. We partnered with our friends from Wusthof to have some fun at our store on Church Street, offering knife tips and demonstrations and giving away gifts and prizes.
We had samples of hot pretzels with a (ridiculously delicious) Switchback cheese sauce from our friends at Leunig's Petit Bijou. We also were grilling up samples of some beer cooked bratwurst! People really seemed to enjoy it, so we figured we'd share the recipe so people could make it at home!
We started the cooking by boiling the bratwurst in beer to add some flavor, and then finished them on the grill! If you were cooking for a crowd you could boil them longer till they're fully cooked, and simply warm them on the grill till there's grill marks on each side.
So if you tried these this last Saturday and wanted to try them again, here's the recipe! Enjoy!
What you'll need:
- 3 Cans of Beer (12oz each)
- 5 Bratwurst
- 1 small white onion
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
How you'll do it:
- Pre-heat grill
- Pour beer into a stockpot, add onions and bring to a boil.
- Add bratwurst and stir in all seasonings, reduce to a simmer and cook 10-15 min.
- Remove bratwurst from beer and continue to cook onions till they're soft and fully cooked. Strain onions and set aside.
- Place bratwurst on grill, turning occasionally to cook evenly on all sides, until bratwurst is cooked through (5-10 min).
- Top with with onion and enjoy!