As I mentioned when I wrote about our Quinoa Black Bean Burger Recipe I am by no means a vegetarian.
That said, since not everyone in my family eats meat, over time I've learned to appreciate a great vegetarian recipe. So when we found a recipe for Vegan Chili in The Vermont Farm Table Cookbook, one of our most popular books at the store, I was willing to give it a try. (This book highlights various farms and restaurants in Vermont and shares some of there best recipes).
We made a couple alterations to make it palatable for my lovely (yet spice averse) wife, but it still is flavorful and delicious! The recipe calls for bulgur which helps make it hearty and filling like any good chili should be! Also, while this chili is technically vegan, we top it with cheddar cheese so in our house its simply vegetarian. We also serve it with a side of Maple Corn Bread! (Yes, that said maple corn bread. Check back next week for that recipe!)
What you'll need:
- 1 Tbsp Sunflower Oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 Cup shredded carrots
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seed, and minced*
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 Cup Bulgur, rinsed
- 2 Tbsp chili powder**
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 Cups diced fresh tomatoes (about 2 medium tomatoes)
- 1.5 Cup tomato sauce
- 1 (15oz) can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1.5 (15oz) cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
- grated cheddar cheese (to taste)***
How to do it:
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large heavy pot over medium-high heat
- Add onion, carrots, and jalapeno and sauté, stirring often, until onion is soft (about 5 min)
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute
- Add bulgur, chili powder and cumin and stir until well mixed
- Stir in tomatoes, sauce, and beans, bring to a boil
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender (about 1 hour)
- Top w/ Cheese and enjoy!
*we use zero jalapenos. From heat perspective that just how we roll. You'll probably know what works best for you.
**we use more like 1.5 Tbsp. See above.
***The original recipe calls for topping w/ a bit of yogurt and cilantro