As the snow started flying this past Sunday, I got the itch to do some baking! I looked through my recipe box to see what piqued my interest, as well as find something festive for Valentine’s Day. I came across my mom’s recipe for sugar cookies. There are a ton of sugar cookies recipes out there, this one is simple and delicious, and while I may be biased, I think it’s one of the best! What I love most about sugar cookies is that you with the right cookie cutter and decorations can make them for any occasion (including some creative cookies I made for my best friend’s bachelorette party… but that’s another story). For this weekend, I kept it simple and stuck with the standard heart, and brought in some flare with a variety of frosting colors and sprinkles to decorate. While my little 6-month old baking buddy is still more of a watchful participant as this point, she gave her stamp of approval in my choice of pink and purple icing. So whatever occasion you find yourself needing festive sugar cookies, give this recipe a whirl and enjoy!
Here is what you’ll need:
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons butter (softened)
- ½ Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons milk
Here’s how you do it:
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Mix butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Blend in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cover and chill dough – for at least an hour.
- Roll dough 1/8 inch thick on a lightly floured board. Cut out cookie shapes of your desire and place on an ungreased pan
- Bake for 7-9 minutes.
- Mix butter and powdered sugar. Add in vanilla extract and milk (may add slightly more or less milk to get desired consistency)
- After cookies have cooled, spread frosting and add sprinkles or decorations!
This recipe makes about 36 cookies, depending on size.