On a cold January day what's better than a nice hot cup of soup? Soup has a way of warming you up from the inside! So, in honor of it being National Soup Month we wanted to make batch of a soup we hadn't tried before. We found our inspiration in the Cabot Creamery Cookbook, a favorite of ours. (This book has a wide variety of recipes, but as you can imagine it has an incredible selection of cheesy comfort foods!)
We got an immersion blender a few years ago, and it was one of those things that got stuck in a closet and we forgot we had it. So we figured we would make a pureed soup and that would give us a reason to use it. Honestly, I wish we'd done this a while ago. With how much we use our immersion blender now, I can't believe how long we lived without it. I wish I could have that time back!
If you don't have an immersion blender, you can make this recipe using a regular blender (just be careful when transferring/blending hot soup! Or, if you were wondering. our most popular immersion blender at Kiss the Cook is the Cuisinart Smart Stick and our best reviewed is the Breville Control Grip™)
So, if you're looking for a delicious, and not too complicated soup to warm you up this winter, we'd recommend this Sweet Potato Soup!
What you'll need:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 Cup chopped celery
- 1 Cup diced Onion
- 6 Cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 Cups coarsely grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 chopped green onions
How you'll do it:
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1.5 inch pieces.
- In a dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high.
- Add onion, celery and salt and cook about 7 minutes, until onion softens and browning.
- Add cumin and cinnamon and stir till spices are well combined (about 30 seconds)
- Add sweet potatoes and broth and cover pot. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer
- Once simmering reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook at a gentle simmer for about 20 min, stirring occasionally
- When sweet potatoes are soft, stir in apple cider vinegar and chili powder and remove from heat.
- Puree soup with immersion blender until all chunk are gone and soup is smooth.
- Return pot to burner and warm over medium heat, stirring in cheese until its completely melted.
- Garnish each serving of soup with green onions and enjoy!