When we think of Thanksgiving day we think of the main event. Turkey, stuffing, gravy, and an abundance of sides; followed by delicious desserts. However, every family is different, and depending upon your traditions you may be serving some snacks or apps prior to your meal. If you're attending a Turkey Day celebration that wants some pre-feast snacks, this hummus is a delicious option, and pairing it with veggies keeps it nice a light! While this hummus is delicious as an app for any occasion, it's also fantastic as a spread on a sandwich! So, we recommend making a big enough batch of this hummus that you can use it as a pre-dinner dip, and they reuse it as a condiment on your left over turkey sandwiches!
What you'll need:
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 pound)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
How you'll do it:
- Prick sweet potato several times with a fork, place on a fork and microwave until soft, about 12 minutes. Flip over halfway through. Slice sweet potato in half lengthwise, let cool, scrape sweet potato flesh from skin (discard skin)
- Combine water and lemon in small bowl. In separate bowl, whisk tahini and olive oil.
- Process sweet potato, chickpeas, garlic, paprika, salt, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper in food processor until almost ground, about 15 seconds. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula. With machine running, add lemon juice mixture in steady stream. Scrape down bowl and continue processing for about 1 minute. With machine running, add tahini mixture in steady stream and process until hummus is smooth and creamy, about 15 seconds.
- Transfer hummus to serving bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Drizzle with olive oil and serve with your favorite pita chips or bread. Makes about 3.5 cups. Can be refrigerated for up to 5 days, stir in 1 tablespoon or warm water to loosen texture if necessary.