For some New Year's Eve means a late night of partying and celebrating the coming of a new year. For others, like myself, it likely means trying to stay up till midnight, but actually falling asleep on the couch at about 10:30, waking up at 11:15, deciding the new year will likely still come whether you stay awake or not and shuffling off to bed without seeing the ball drop.
If your part of the first group, you may find yourself a bit groggy in the new year, and perhaps in need of a good hearty breakfast. I thought I'd offer some assistance by suggesting a recipe for a breakfast skillet!
To me, a good breakfast skillet means taking almost everything you'd find on a classic breakfast plate and bringing it together in a hot delicious mixed up mess! Forget a side of bacon and potatoes with your eggs, lets just mix all that together with some veggies (you know...to appease your healthy New Year's Resolutions) and cheese! This is easy to bake and should feed 2-3 people.
Enjoy and Happy New Year!
What you'll need:
- 1 Russet Potato, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 large green pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 strips bacon
- 1/4C diced mushroom
- 1/4C shredded cheddar
- 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 3 large eggs
How you'll do it:
- Bring water in a medium stockpot to a bowl, and add potato. Bowl for 5 min. Drain and rinse potato with cold water.
- Heat a medium cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon in skillet till crispy (about 3-4 min per side)
- Remove bacon from skillet, set on paper towel to drain.
- Add butter to skillet and mix with remaining bacon grease. Add potato to skillet and cook for about 5 min, stirring occasionally, until it starts to brown on sides.
- Add onion, pepper and mushroom to skillet and saute for an additional 5 min.
- Create 3 holes in potato/veggie mixture --revealing bottom of skillet--and crack an egg in each opening.
- Crumble bacon over top of everything. Sprinkle cheddar over top of everything.
- Cover skillet and cook until eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!