I have written a few times about my affinity for desserts, which I think strikes an all time high around the holiday season. Today we are sharing one of my childhood favorite's and a recipe passed down from my grandmother, to my mom, and now me. This has been my favorite and most requested dessert throughout my life, yet I never took the time to learn how to make it. In general, pies intimidate me and I have been spoiled by my mom who seems to always have a freshly made pie waiting in the freezer when I come over. Well the time has come for me to take a little ownership and test my grasshopper pie skills. It turns out this is a very easy pie to make! The Oreo crust is fast and tasty and the green, minty filling makes this a perfect holiday treat. Hope you enjoy as much as I do.
Here's what you need:
- 1 1/2 cup crumbled Oreo's
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 Tablespoons white Creme de Cocoa
- 1/4 cup Creme de Menthe (green if you want to green color for your pie!)
Here's what you do:
- Mix crumbled Oreo's and melted butter in small bowl, press mixture into a 9" pie plate. Be sure to get the crust up the sides and evenly distributed. (Leave a pinch or two of Oreo's aside for topping pie)
- Combine marshmallow and milk in sauce pan and cook over low heat until marshmallows melt. The key here is low and slow, mix often and attend to so the marshmallows don't overcook and stick to the bottom. As soon as they are melted, remove from heat to let cool. Add liquors and set aside.
- Whip the cream - again low and slow and whip until small peaks form.
- Stir marshmallows mixture to be sure it is well combined and then fold into whipped cream. Stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into crumb lined pan, top with crushed Oreo's to liking. Place pie in freezer for at least 2 hours before serving.