May is National BBQ Month, and one of the ways we celebrate at Kiss the Cook is to put all of our grilling utensils and accessories on sale all month! One thing that you won't find in our stores, but is definitely a grilling necessity is beer. Drinking a cold beer is helpful tool when firing up the grill on a warm summer evening. However, for this recipe, we take that a step further and we use that can of beer to cook a whole chicken. The beer adds flavor and moisture to the chicken while it cooks! You can use any beer you'd like. We used a Belgian White (Bob White from Zero Gravity). It has some spices and some orange peel that went great with the chicken! We used Montreal Seasoning from Teeny Tiny Spice that was good, but feel free to use any rub of your liking (even some simple seasoned salt and pepper)! Finally you can just prop the chicken upright (legs down) on the beer, but we used a rack* to help keep the chicken vertical and allow the beer to steam evenly all the way through. You can also place the chicken right on the grill, but we used a pan under the chicken to catch the drippings and it makes it easier to get it on and off the grill. (Plus, you could use any oils or drippings you get to baste the chicken once or twice while cooking, to give the chicken a nice crisp exterior!) Regardless of which choices you make, this recipe is fun, easy and delicious!)
What you'll need:
- 1 whole chicken (about 4lbs)
- 1 12oz can of beer
- 6 Tbsp Montreal Seasoning
- 4-6 Rosemary leaves
How you'll do it:
- Pre-heat grill on high heat.
- Open up beer and drink half. While doing so, clean chicken and pat dry. Rub seasoning on outside of chicken distributing evenly, and rub a little inside chicken as well. Put rosemary leaves in 1/2 full beer can.
- Place chicken over beer can and place upright in oven safe dish or pan.
- Place on grill and cook over high heat for 1-1.25 hrs (or until breast is 165*F)
- Remove beer can, carve chicken, and enjoy!
*this is the rack we used, however this rack comes with a tray (so you don't need to use a pan) and a can so you can fill it with the beverage of your choice.