Chickpea Pot Pie
What you'll need:
- 1 package (~14oz) refrigerated pie crust
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 C diced onions
- 1 C diced celery
- 1 C diced carrots
- 1 C diced potatoes
- 1 C frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 C vegetable broth
- One 15oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
How you'll do it:
- Preheat oven to 400°. Unroll 1 crust into a 9-in. pie plate; trim even with rim. Line crust with parchment. Fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake on a lower oven rack until edges are light golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
- Remove parchment and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 3-6 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, celery and carrots; cook and stir until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes, and after 3 min stir in peas, and cook until vegetables are tender (approximately 3-4 more min).
- Whisk in flour, seasoning, thyme, turmeric, salt & pepper. Increase heat to medium-high; gradually whisk in vegetable broth. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 4-6 minutes. Stir in chickpeas. Remove from heat.
- Spoon vegetable filling over bottom crust. Unroll remaining crust; place over filling. Trim; cut slits in top.
- Bake until top crust is golden, about 15 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes before serving.